Seattle to New York by bicycle

Seattle to New York by bicycle

Becky Cycle Ride

Read Becky’s story on how she plans to raise a huge £4000 for the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre.

It’s now less than a month until my departure date of 2nd August, when I’ll board a plane to Seattle -America with nothing but my bicycle, a tent and three pannier bags to live out of. Around 9 weeks later I will hopefully reach New York after pedalling 4,000 miles unsupported to raise money for The John van Geest Cancer Research Centre – The ultimate coast to coast.

My name is Becky and I have just completed a year’s placement for the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre where I worked within the fundraising team. This has inspired me to attempt such a challenge before I head back to my final year of University.

Getting to see first-hand the work of the centre and the passion each scientists holds for their research means that for me, there really was no other charity I would do this for. The John van Geest Cancer Research Centre is a world leading research facility and being able to visit the laboratory has given me a depth of knowledge about their work and how it has an impact on diagnosis and treatment. It is research I believe in strongly, research which is leading the way for how we could eventually diagnose and treat the disease.

Cycling across America will be the biggest challenge I

have ever set myself, but it is one I am both excited for and apprehensive about attempting. I will have company for the first three weeks from my brother, Ben. However the remaining six weeks I am planning to ride solo. I will carry everything I need with me on my bike and camp along the way to keep cost down (as I am still a student!). I have funded the whole trip myself and Nottingham Trent University cover all running cost of the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre, which means that 100% of all donations received will go to the research. I hope to raise 1 pound per mile, a total of £4,000.

It’s certainly going to be a memorable trip! You can keep up to date with my journey from the van Geest Facebook page or my Instagram account @rlt.cycles. If you want to help support the work of van Geest please donate on my JustGiving page: www.justgiving.com/rlt-cycles

Not everyone has to cycle 4000 miles, but everyone can do something. Why not do your own challenge? What can you push yourself to do?

Rebecca Tolputt

Community Fundraising Assistant

(Soon to be back studying in my third year of Business Management and Entrepreneurship at Nottingham Trent University)