Impressions on a Fun Run

0 comments

One of our faster scientists

One of our faster scientists

As part of a whirlwind first week at the John van Geest centre, I made the decision to spend a few hours of my time on Saturday for the runNTU event, our annual 5K sponsored run to raise funds for the centre.

No runner myself, I get out of breath walking to the corner shop to buy Haribo, I wisely decided to plonk myself in with the runner registration tables, barely settling onto my comfortable bench before a steady stream of runners began making their way down the stairs.

As students, staff, and the general public arrived on a day that couldn’t have been more perfect – blue sky, fluffy clouds but not too warm – they can’t have failed to notice that registration was serenaded by live music from Bertie Drew and Ventiduo , on the student union stage, a lovely touch and and a great first impression of the event for myself, and undoubtedly to anyone from in or outside the University running the event for the first time.

An interesting addition to the run is the option to run it in fancy dress, the children being particularly keen to join in it seemed, and I personally spotted some ninja turtles, a trio of Britney Spears and superheroes beyond count, including one hero with hair so alarmingly pink, I can only hope that it was fancy dress, although the cape was somewhat of a give-away.

Exterminate!

Exterminate!

As an introduction to the wonderful world of the centre and the university, I couldn’t have asked for more; everyone was welcoming and friendly, the runners were all happy, the event was very well sign-posted and organised (by colleagues from the Development and Sports Teams) and as far as I could see, went off without a hitch.

I’m very excited to continue my education on the comings and goings of the John van Geest Cancer Research Centre, and pledge here and now to run the 5K myself next year…probably not in costume just yet though.

Chris Beaumont/JvGCRC