Why become a Free Representation Unit volunteer?

Steve Cupid Theodore

By Steve Cupid Theodore, FRU Representative

Finalist, Gray’s Inn Moot Competition 2015-16

“When I was choosing where to do the BPTC, like other students I considered many factors: pupillage rates; reputation; cost. But the one that made Nottingham my clear first choice was FRU. The opportunity to be responsible for real cases, serve real clients, and get real court experience; where else could I find that? I would have to wait until my second six of pupillage before I could even begin to gain such experience.

“Four hearings and one trial later, on everything from worker status and whistleblowing to helping the severely disabled get the highest benefits award they deserved, I can safely say that the effort I put in has been rewarded many times over. I can see the results in my legal knowledge, confidence arguing before judges, in my mooting, and even in my BPTC grades.

“Now that the course is over, I’m looking forward to getting as much of the one-on-one training offered by FRU’s supervisors as I possibly can—and from the best pro bono student programme in the UK. Why would I want to pass that up?”

The opportunity to be responsible for real cases, serve real clients, and get real court experience; where else could I find that?

The Free Representation Unit (FRU) is a charity that provides free legal advice and representation in employment and social security tribunals. Nottingham Law School’s multi-award winning Legal Advice Centre has the only Free Representation Unit outside of London, providing our students with the opportunity to work with real clients and gain essential case preparation and advocacy skills.

Steve Cupid Theodore, is a BPTC student and FRU volunteer from Trinidad and Tobago. Before coming to study in the UK he worked as an employment consultant to the Federation of Independent Trade Unions and NGOs in Trinidad and Tobago,  was an advocate and advisor to the Toco Foundation, a leading community development and biodiversity protection organisation in Trinidad and had also been a newspaper and magazine editor in New York.

Students can find out more about the FRU opportunities available in the NLS Pro Bono Learning Room on NOW.

About the author

We are a Law School with a big reputation and a vibrant student community.