Thomas Salton, Trainee Solicitor, Government Legal Depa...

Thomas Salton, Trainee Solicitor, Government Legal Department

Whitehall Downing Street Sign 960 x 640

The Government Legal Profession will be attending the Nottingham Law School Law Fair at Nottingham Trent University on 22 January 2019.

I studied History at Nottingham Trent University between 2009 and 2012 and then completed the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) at Nottingham Law School during 2013/14. I had a fantastic time in Nottingham and learnt a great deal which set me up for my future legal career. After completing the GDL, I was very interested in public law and the operations of government. The Government Legal Profession (GLP) therefore seemed the perfect place to train as a lawyer.

During my training contract, with the Government Legal Department, I have completed two seats in litigation, one in private law (damages claims against the government) and the other in public law (challenges to the legality of public decisions). I was given significant responsibility in both seats, and managed my own caseload, undertook research and provided advice to the clients. I also assisted on larger, high profile cases, one of which went before the Supreme Court this November. In addition, I had the opportunity to attend a meeting with the Home Secretary, Sajid Javid MP.

I am currently in my first advisory seat at the Home Office, advising the department in relation to Immigration and Asylum matters. In March, I shall be moving to my final seat at the Department of Work and Pensions.

A training contract with the GLP is varied, interesting and rewarding. Trainees are given responsibility for real legal work at an early stage. The work is at times fast-paced and often features in the news headlines. If you are interested in public law or the interface between law and politics, then GLP might be the place for you!

Some of my colleagues will be attending the Nottingham Trent University Law Fair  on 22 January 2019 – so please visit the GLP stand to find out more.

GLP_COLOUR_AW (Portrait) v2

Note: A number of Government departments recruit trainee solicitors and pupil barristers, each year, through the GLP’s Legal Trainee Scheme. These departments include the Government Legal Department, HM Revenue & Customs, the Competition and Markets Authority, and the National Crime Agency. Further details can be found on the GLP’s website

About the author

We are a Law School with a big reputation and a vibrant student community.