Our Bloggers

Our Bloggers

The NTU Digital Practice Blog is written by the Digital Practice Team within Organisational Development

We like to post about all things related to the use of Digital Practice at NTU, including tips on which technologies will help you in your day to day role at NTU, ideas and news from the team and beyond.

Our work follows the key principles that digital practice:

• encompasses the use and application of digital technologies in a variety of contexts by using a range of digital literacies and skills
  • means ensuring staff have appropriate access to technologies
  • is practice driven rather than technology driven
  • should help to develop staff who are confident, competent and capable users of technology that suits their needs

Our current contributors are listed below. You can find further information about Digital Practice and what services the team can offer at the Organisational Development website.

Elaine Swift – Digital Practice Manager

Elaine Swift

I lead the Digital Practice team in providing support through a range of professional development activities that enable the use of technologies in appropriate work contexts at NTU.

I have undertaken a variety of roles supporting the adoption of learning technologies. As a member of the project team developing NOW, I worked with Schools and Professional Services on successful implementation. Before joining NTU, I worked in eLearning at the University of Bath researching and developing new learning technologies.

Marcus Elliott – Senior Digital Practice Adviser

Marcus Elliott

“I am particularly interested in supporting the development of new learning and teaching cultures using digital tools and techniques; whether you want to find out more about using social media, understand your own digital capabilities, or explore innovative teaching techniques.

I originally trained as a secondary science teacher and have worked my way through FE to HE via Learning Support and Digital Education. I have also worked in the private sector, delivering international training contracts.

Rachel Evans – Digital Practice Adviser

Rachel Evans

As a Digital Practice Adviser, I offer support to help colleagues get the most out of digital technologies at NTU. This may include using Office 365 for sharing, planning and creating exciting resources, advice on lecture capture (My Media Files) or support with NOW.

I have a wide range of experience in education: before joining NTU I worked in staff development at the Civil Service, then qualified as an assessor and verifier assessing Apprentices in IT, administration and management for the Chamber of Commerce.

Elena Khabarova – Digital Practice Adviser

Elena Khabarova

I support the effective use of digital technologies at NTU including advanced Excel, the NTU Dashboard and lecture capture. I was recently involved in the process of mapping the NTU Digital Framework to development solutions and creating a Digital Framework Learning Room in NOW.

Prior to joining NTU, I worked for the British Council supporting bidding for and implementation of international development and scholarship management projects and programmes. I have over five years’ experience as a Learning and Development Consultant, specialising in SAP, business process analysis and managing personal and professional development schemes.

Tony Lynn – Senior Digital Learning Developer

Tony Lynn

I provide leadership, subject expertise, advice and guidance on the procurement, production and deployment of online learning and digital learning solutions for staff and organisational development.

I have over 25 years’ experience in a wide variety of learning and development roles for large organisations, including Nottinghamshire County Council and Caterpillar. A key element of these roles has been the creation of strategies and learning programs that support business needs particularly during times of change and uncertainty.

Sue Pears – Digital Practice Adviser

Sue Pears

I offer help and support for the digital technologies colleagues use at NTU. I deliver on our open Digital Practice events and develop, deliver and support tailored bespoke digital development solutions for teams and departments across the university, including Polling, Office 365 and lecture capture.

Prior to joining NTU, I worked as an Information Scientist for a variety of multinational companies. I delivered information services to research staff and provided end-user support and training for a variety of library and information resources.

Dan Scott – Digital Practice Adviser

Dan Scott

I provide support with implementing learning technology solutions and helping staff develop digital capabilities in all elements of the NTU Digital Framework, by sourcing, designing and getting the best out of a wide range of digital tools and systems.

I began my learning technology career in further education (FE); planning and implementing effective use of learning technology and designing digital activities and resources for learning, teaching and assessment. I have been a Certified Member of the Association for Learning Technology (ALT) since 2013 and won the ALT Learning Technologist of the Year award in 2016.

Gemma Stafford – Digital Practice Officer

Gemma Stafford

As an experienced member of the Organisational Development Team, I signpost colleagues to the right solution for their development needs. I advise on our digital practice events and the online resources we curate for learning and reference.

I began my NTU career in systems roles before moving into Organisational Development. I am a qualified digital copywriter and currently studying for an MA in Learning Technology and Education. I am an NTU Stonewall Ally.