Office Tips & Tricks: Create a Microsoft Form

Using cell comments in Excel (1)

Microsoft Forms is a program within Office 365 (Education) that enables you to create custom quizzes, surveys and questionnaires. You can then invite others to respond (using any browser and using mobile devices). Built-in analytics let you evaluate responses received.

How do I access Microsoft Forms?

If you have access to Microsoft Office 365 Education, (teachers, students and staff at schools, colleges and HE establishments), then you can access Microsoft Forms from your Office 365 homepage.

What could I do with a Microsoft Form?

You can create either a survey-style Form, or a Quiz.  These could be used to gauge opinion, check knowledge after a taught session or to establish existing knowledge before a taught session.

How do I create a Form?

It’s very straightforward to create either a quiz or survey.  You can use a variety of question types including multiple choice or free text in the Quiz option. And in the survey, you also have the option of ratings and date choices.

There are some limitations but Microsoft are improving Forms all the time. For example it’s now possible to create a more complex ‘branching’ survey for example where people who answered yes are taken to a different question to the people who answered no.

Microsoft support provide some easy to follow instructions for Creating a Survey form with Microsoft Forms  and Creating a Quiz form with Microsoft Forms.

It’s really quick and easy, and there are Theme options to personalise your Form.  Here’s a sample:

2017-01-26_15-15-01

How do I share my Microsoft Form?

Just click the green Share button at the top of the screen.  Then choose your preferred sharing option: link, QR code, embed code or email.

2017-01-26_15-19-20

How do I save my Microsoft Form?

Forms are automatically saved to Microsoft Forms using the title you gave as a filename. To view previously created forms, just click on the Forms app/tile from your Office 365 homepage.

Did you find this Tip & Trick useful?

Why not let us know using the comments? And feel free to share our post with your colleagues.

Further support: NTU staff and students can visit the Office Central learning room for more help on using Microsoft Office 2013 and Office 365/OneDrive by clicking here.  You will need to log in to NOW to view the learning room.  (Please note: Office Central is an internal resource only accessible by NTU staff and students).

4 comments on “Office Tips & Tricks: Create a Microsoft Form

• Pete AKA PedanticPete

I have used BOS (Bristol online Surveys) that we (NTU) subscribe to, it does Branching etc and generates very readable reports and analytics.

Pete

• rachel

Hi Pete. Thank you for your (slightly longer! Ed) comment. I agree BOS is a good alternative to Forms, and under used I think at NTU. Hopefully Forms will continue to improve going forward. Rachel

• Hi Rachel,

When I’m creating a form for a multiple choice quiz is it possible to define one of the options as the correct answer? if so can this be noted in the automatically generated .xls doc?

Many thanks!

Dave

• rachel

Hi Dave. You can indeed set an answer option as the correct answer. Click on the tick beside your choice when setting up the question. The Excel worksheet doesn’t automatically flag up correct answers, but you could use the filter to separate these out. And the responses tab will show top level graphs and detailed responses where you can check who gave the right answer. I’ve messaged you directly with a bit more detailed information.